Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sunday I finished reading "Shadow of the Night" by Deborah Harkness - book 2 in the "Discovery of Witches" trilogy.  Good news and bad news.  Bad news first - always.  The bad news is that "Shadow of the Night" was just released in July.  So...no telling when the next one will be released.  But chances are it won't be anytime this week, which is when I'd like to be reading it!  Sigh.  So, I'll just have to wait.  And wait.  And wait.  The only problem with really good books - and the authors that write them - is that they can never write as fast as I can read. Maybe some day there will be a technology solve to all that.  OK, so back to the good news, I guess.  The good news is that the books carry all of the things that I love about a good book - a little bit of history brought to life so that I feel like I'm also learning something, but in the best way possible, a little time travel, and lots of pages.  No wimpy books for me!  Now it doesn't really get much better than that.  In the trend of the day, it is about witches and vampires, which I am finding intrigues me.  I haven't read any of the other "vampire" series, so I don't know how these books compare.  Is the vampire lore consistent across books/authors?  I am curious to know if the same protocol applies to all the various vampires on the shelves these days.  Does anyone know?  In any event, I enjoyed the story line about a witch trying to lead a "normal life" without witchcraft, and how she's really finding she can't avoid it (can any of us really ignore who we really are?), her forbidden involvement with a vampire and their quest to find a magical book with the secrets of creation contained therein.  I don't know how this can possibly be wrapped up in another book, but I am sure Ms. Harkness has a plan.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment